St Lucy’s School History
St Lucy’s School was founded in 1938 by the Dominican Sisters. The Catholic Church had requested to establish a school for children who were blind. The school was created under the patronage of St Lucy, the traditional protectress of the blind.
Originally located at Homebush (1938), in 1959, the school moved to Wahroonga, next to the Dominican Convent and Prouille School, also established by the Dominican Sisters.
Over the years, St Lucy’s has moved from the education of blind children to encompass students with a wide range of disabilities, including mild to severe intellectual disability, autism and sensory impairments.
The school has also doubled the numbers of students. To cater, new purpose-built facilities have been built, with a new building opening in the second half of 2020.
In 2019, the school has expanded its offering to include high school education, opening with two year 7 classes. By 2024, St Lucy’s School will be fully kindergarten to year 12.
Further Reading Suggestions: